With demand for new warehouse storage space increasing, there has never been a better time to ensure you’re making the most of the space you already have at your disposal.
Whether you’re a retailer managing your own inventory, or in third-party logistics handling stock on behalf of multiple clients, space is at a premium, meaning optimal use of what you already have is vital.
But how can warehouse space be best organised for picking and packing? What warehouse storage solutions are out there that can help to improve efficiency and use of space? And how much will all this change cost you financially, as well as in lost productivity during the switchover?
A lot less than you might think, it turns out…
Warehouse pick and pack: planning your space
Well-planned and organised warehouses hold more stock, operate more efficiently, make fewer picking errors, and react more quickly to seasonal or other changes in operations and demand.
They are also better equipped to incorporate new technologies and benefit from the resulting additional warehouse storage efficiencies brought about by integrating AI and automation with the traditional workforce.
Find out more: Read our blog on warehouse space optimisation in 2023 and beyond.
Whether you’re fitting out a new warehouse space or looking to upgrade your existing storage bins set-up, proper organisation is key to enable your teams to operate efficiently.
Ask yourself these questions:
- Are all your SKUs (large and small) properly divided in pick bins, and clearly identifiable?
- Are oversized or awkwardly-shaped items stored efficiently and securely in appropriately sized storage bins?
- Can barcodes and tags be scanned quickly and easily?
- Are you making the most of the vertical storage height available to you for product storage?
- Are you picking small SKUs from pallet racking locations?
- Do you distinguish between fast and slow moving goods in your pick locations?
- How far is your average picker having to walk to pick customer orders?
- Do you need more warehouse storage, or do you just need to use what you have better?
Optimising warehouse pick and pack
The most efficiently organised warehouses have several features in common. These include:
- A distinction between fast and slow moving goods, with the slowest moving items stored in palletised storage bins using the building’s height to advantage, faster-moving SKUs housed at ground level, and the most popular products at any one time located close to the dispatch area for ease of picking.
- Smaller, fast-moving and/or seasonal SKUs stored in pick bins and pick faces allowing for greater density of products per square metre of warehouse space.
- Clearly divided and labelled SKUs for fast, accurate picking.
- Flexible storage solutions that can be tailored to the shape and size of different SKUs.
- The option to increase and reduce warehouse storage capacity as needed to allow for changing requirements in the use of space e.g. increased volume of fast-moving seasonal goods during peak, or a focus on returns and rework during the post-Christmas period.
Warehouse storage solutions: a shopping list
To fit in with this optimum warehouse design, retailers and 3PLs are increasingly looking for flexible industrial warehouse storage solutions that can be tailored to the specific needs of their business at any one time.
In-demand attributes include:
- Short lead times
- Quick installation / build
- Large storage capacity
- Opportunity for reconfiguration of storage during use
- Clear segregation between SKUs
- Enhanced security and protection for products
- Ease of stock identification
- Opportunity for bespoke design to fit specific areas
- Environmentally friendly
The great news is that there are warehouse storage solutions out there that fit the bill and do all this and more.
PALLITE® PIX®, PIX® SLOTS and the new PIX® XL Bin Box: the ultimate warehouse storage solutions
At PALLITE® Group, we’re proud to be able to say that our entire range of sustainable warehouse storage solutions, PIX®, offers all of these attributes as standard.
Designed from the outset to meet the demands of busy modern warehouses, PIX® provides businesses with ultimate versatility. Individual units can be cost-effectively manufactured to bespoke sizes, often delivered more quickly than their wooden or metal racking counterparts, built in minutes, flexed around different products in seconds, and completely flat-packed for storage when not required.
Check out this video from our client that built 630 pick locations with PIX® in 2.5 hours!
The ultimate agile pick faces, PALLITE® PIX® storage bins are made predominantly from recycled paper cardboard which slot together with ease to make strong and durable industrial racking, shelving pick bins that can be further divided as needed to house different size and shape SKUs. Once clearly segregated, dedicated space for barcodes and labels allows products to be quickly identified by pickers.
Discover the surprising truth about how to pick faster in a warehouse.
The ability of PIX® to be tailored to fit different available spaces and various size and shape SKUs allows businesses to consolidate multiple pallet locations across a smaller footprint with no need for significant planning, cost or onboarding for their teams. Warehouse pick and pack teams benefit from shorter walk sequences and significantly reduced pick times.
What’s more, the entire PIX® storage bins range are 100% recyclable after use, making them an environmentally friendly option for planet conscious businesses.
Find out more: Read our blog on how PIX® is transforming warehouses worldwide.
At its heart, PIX® represents the ultimate simplicity in warehouse pick and pack efficiency.
The popularity of the range since its launch shows the power of good warehouse organisation to deliver efficiencies to busy logistics operations, and that this organisation needn’t be difficult or costly to achieve – it can be as simple as good old paper and PVA glue.