Wooden packaging materials (WPM) are known to run the risk of spreading harmful tree and forestry pests and diseases. For this reason, as of January 2021 (as directed by the UK Government) all companies importing or exporting goods using wooden shipping containers must comply with ISPM15 international standards. This applies to any goods moved to or from the EU or rest of the world. *
The ISMP15 is a crucial move to protect the environment, however it can present challenges for logistics operations. Not only can complying with ISMP15 incur extra costs, it can be difficult to source a reliable supplier of heat treated pallets.
To avoid the associated costs and complexities of adhering to the new rules it could make sense to move to ISPM15 exempt shipping containers.
In this article, we’ll explore the benefits of using ISPM15 exempt shipping containers, and see how they could help to streamline your global logistics operations.
What is ISPM15?
The International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures No. 15 (ISPM15) is an international phytosanitary standard developed by the International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC). It aims to prevent the spread of pests and diseases through wooden packaging materials used in international trade.
ISPM15 regulations require that wood packaging materials are heat-treated or fumigated before being used to transport goods internationally. These regulations apply to packing cases, boxes, crates, pallets (including load boards) and any loose wood used to protect goods. Wooden crates may be checked at borders to ensure they comply with regulations, and if they don’t, they could be rejected or even destroyed.
If you use wooden packaging you need to ensure your packing service or freight forwarder uses solid wood packaging that meets the ISPM15 requirements.
What are ISPM15 exempt shipping containers?
ISPM15 exempt shipping containers offer a practical solution for businesses that traditionally use wooden packaging materials, but want to avoid the complexities associated with compliance. Crates can be made from alternative materials such as plywood, plastic, cardboard and metal, since these don’t require treatment under ISPM15 regulations – thereby avoiding any need for additional processes, certifications, and associated costs.
Why opt for ISPM15 exempt shipping crates?
Streamlined international trade
One big advantage of using ISPM15 exempt shipping crates is that they can lead to smoother international trade operations. Since ISPM15 exempt crates or boxes bypass the strict regulations and treatments required for wooden packaging materials, you can save the time and resources associated with compliance. This streamlined process leads to faster customs clearance, reduced paperwork, and overall improved logistics efficiency.
Complying with ISPM15 can be expensive, especially if you ship goods internationally on a regular basis. Treatment processes, certification fees, and all the associated paperwork can significantly impact your bottom line. By switching to ISPM15 exempt containers, you can avoid these costs and allocate your resources more effectively. In addition, if you use lightweight ISPM15 exempt crates you’ll be able to reduce your overall shipping costs too.
Superior durability and performance
ISPM15 exempt shipping boxes are often manufactured using materials that offer enhanced durability and performance compared to traditional wooden containers. For example, PALLITE® shipping crates have strong honeycomb cardboard walls, ensuring that goods remain protected throughout the shipping process, reducing the risk of damage or spoilage.
Who could benefit from ISPM15 exempt shipping containers?
Companies from all kinds of industries can benefit from the use of ISPM15 exempt crates, including:
- Pharmaceuticals and healthcare: These industries often require strict control over packaging materials to maintain product integrity and avoid contamination risks.
- Electronics and Technology: Delicate electronic components can be vulnerable to moisture and pests, making alternative materials a preferred choice.
- Food and Agriculture: ISPM15 exempt containers can be advantageous for transporting perishable goods, as they eliminate the risk of infestation or contamination.
PALLITE® ISPM15 exempt crates: Ideal for international shipping
- PALLITE® ISPM15 exempt shipping containers provide an efficient, cost-effective solution for all types of businesses involved in international trade. By eliminating the need for compliance with stringent ISPM15 regulations you can streamline logistics operations, reduce costs, and enhance durability, all whilst reducing your carbon footprint.
- PALLITE® crates have either 15mm or 25mm extra strong protective walls, and you can add bespoke CNC cut inserts to keep goods even more securely in place by reducing movement of items during transit. Because they’re so strong PALLITE® crates can hold up to 750 kg and can stack up to 500 kg.
- Crates require no nails or tools to assemble them, and they keep the risks of contamination to a minimum, since they’re less susceptible to mould than wooden crates.
- PALLITE® shipping crates are lightweight, starting at just 12.4kg a crate making them 83% lighter than a wooden crate of the same size. This reduces your consignment rates and saves you money.
- Boxes are fully collapsible so they can be easily stored away when not in use, saving you precious warehouse space.
- PALLITE® shipping crates can be palletised avoiding any need for wood or plastic pallets which could add additional space in transit. You can opt for two or four way pallet entry making this a cost-effective way to organise your shipping around your specific loads, sizes and weight requirements. This also allows you to maximise truckloads and get more units per shipment.
- By using PALLITE® products you’ll also be boosting your green credentials. Our shipping crates are made from 100% recyclable materials from managed sources making them a sustainable shipping solution.
All our boxes are manufactured in-house, and can be configured to your exact requirements. We can produce bespoke sizes usually on either a euro-palletised footprint of 1200 x 800 or UK of 1200 x 1000.
Our expert CAD designers can create crates with bespoke inserts for your products to keep them snug and secure in transit. You’ll be able to ship more products per load with our smaller profile shipping crates and reduce any wasted space on each load. To speed up packing times you can also opt to have built in loading windows.
ISPM15 continues to be vital for safeguarding ecosystems, however PALLITE® ISPM15 exempt containers offer a practical, cost-effective, and sustainable alternative to wooden containers. If you’d like to find out more about our sustainable shipping crates, or talk to us about creating a bespoke solution for you, please get in touch today.
*Not all countries require wood packing to comply with ISPM15 regulations Here’s a link to the countries that do.